Here’s a super easy muscle building recipe that’s good for lunch and dinner. One of my favorite cooking tools is a slow cooker, because if you find easy slow cooker recipes, they really make your life easy. This is my first in an ongoing series of muscle building recipes I’d love to share with you.
If you’re like me, I really don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking after I get home from work. Gathering ingredients, preparing the food, cooking the food, and the cleanup afterwards takes up a big chunk of time and effort. Then finding the energy to go to the gym after that, good luck!
The inspiration for these hot beef sandwiches is from restaurants like Potbelly’s or Old Chicago. After trying these, they may even remind you of sandwiches from your local corner deli. They’re delicious.
Here’s what you’ll need for this easy muscle building recipe:
- 2 lbs of chuck roast
- 1 jar of kosher pickles
- cayenne pepper
- hot peppers (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- A slow cooker
Let’s get cooking.
- Spray some non stick cooking spray into the slow cooker pot.
- Place your roast in the pot.
- Empty the pickle juice from the jar over the roast. Put the pickles in the fridge for later.
- Set the crock pot on low and cook for 9-10 hours. This usually means I prepare this food in the morning, go to work, and by the time I’m done work the beef is done!
- Using a fork, shred the beef up and let it soak in the crock pot.
- Spoon out your meat on top of your buns, add your peppers and cheese as you’d like. Drizzle some extra juice on top of that too.
I’d estimate that a large one of these sandwiches will yield you about 500-600 calories with around 35 g of protein. Add in a glass of milk to drink for an extra 120 calories, and you’re well on your way to feeding your body with the building blocks needed to build muscle.
The best part is, this recipe will give you quite a bit of leftover for the rest of the week. Even when splitting this between two people, I had enough left over for a few more days after. Talk about a time saver!